Monday, March 6, 2017

Plot(ting)

Good News!! I finally have a base for my plot. It took me a while, but what I did was watch a few trailers of films that related to what I want to do and put together all of my ideas. Two of the films that really helped me establish my plot were Sing Street and August Rush.

     August Rush is a film about an orphan's journey to finding his parents. His parents were both musicians and ended up having to give up their only child. He grew up to be a musical prodigy and decided to run away to New York City. Along the way he discovers who he is, the influence that his music has on others, and his parents search for him too. The reason I liked this movie so much is because of how powerful they portrayed music as, and how it connected people who were on completely opposite places.




Sing Street takes place in Dublin, Ireland in the 1980s. A 14 year old boy, Conner, growing up in this time escapes his strained family life by starting a band. Which started out as just a cover story that he used in order to impress a girl. This film was also very influential within my decision making process because it consisted of teens who were growing up, learning to fit in and used music as a way to do all of those things, and more.


     From the start, I knew that I wanted my film to have something to do with music and be influential in some way. Due to that, I found a way to incorporate both of those elements into my film. I also wanted to make my film a bit different then what music films are typically about and take my character out of the typical teenage stereotypes. Although I will probably change some details along the way, this is what I came up with for my story line:

Drama/Coming of age: Since she was young she loved helping people, and now that she's older her passion to help has only grown. She also loves music. Now that she’s older she’s learning that those two worlds can merge, she can use her talents to help others, influence others. All of her friends have completely different music taste, she tries to be more like her friends in order to conform to society, in order to fit in. Her friends don't agree with the kind of music that she’s into, that she wants to use to influence people; they think that with that kind of music/ dream is unrealistic. The music and growth teaches her that she doesn't have to be anyone other than herself, music has the power to change lives and she is apart of that change.
- You have to be yourself, it's more valuable than following societies standards; that way you have the most fun, you are happiest, and impact others (without having to be famous/ a celebrity/ have lots of money). (+joys of music/ power of music)

Target audience: Teens - Young adults
- Character is trying to figure out what she wants to do in life, is influenced by her surroundings by shows, friends, and thinks that she has to be a certain way, one day she realizes that she is talented (can sing, play instrument) and finds herself, her passion and pushes boundaries, finding out how influential music can be.



"Sing Street (2016)." IMDb. IMDb.com, n.d. Web.
"August Rush (2007)." IMDb. IMDb.com, n.d. Web.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment