Thursday, March 10, 2016

Thriller night

 After looking through the various genres and brainstorming ideas, the Thriller/Mystery/Suspense genre was the one that stood out the most to us. Thriller films are amazing because of all the emotions they can make someone feel. The AMC film site stated that " [thriller and suspense films] are known to promote intense excitement, suspense, a high level of anticipation, ultra-heightened expectation, uncertainty, anxiety, and nerve-wracking tension." It's crazy to think that images on a screen could be so emotionally impacting, when put together correctly. Upon seeing both my partner and my interest in Thrillers we came up with a few possible ideas and narrowed it down.
  1. Stalker
  2. Kidnapped as a child, wants revenge, but it could be anyone...
  3. Some sort of criminal, and the criminal/crime would be introduced in the opening scene (similar to Scream, or Criminal minds)


  Since Stephanie and I have taken an interest in the Thriller genre, I think its crucial for me to research "The Master of Suspense," Alfred Hitchcock. In case you don't know, Hitchcock is the mastermind behind films like Vertigo (1958), Psycho (1960), Notorious (1946) and many more. The reason I'm so interested in learning more about Hitchcock is so I can see the techniques he used, and how he made such memorable thrillers. He dedicated loads of time to story boarding and seeing how successful his films have been, I know that once Stephanie and I have a clear plot, we're going to need to dedicate time to planning out as much as we can before filming.
"Once the screenplay is finished, I'd just as soon not make the film at all ... I have a strongly visual mind. I visualize a picture right down to the final cuts. I write all this out in the greatest detail in the script, and then I don't look at the script while I'm shooting." Alfred Hitchcock


 I also want to mention that I just watched a few Thriller Film openings (Inception, Black swan, Sherlock Holmes, Vertigo, Blue velvet, Psycho) and although they were all very diverse they helped fill my mind with different ideas and possibilities. I'll write them down as they come to me and get you all updated!


"Alfred Hitchcock." Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation, Web. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_Hitchcock#Aesthetic

Dirks, Tim. "Thriller/Suspense Films." AMC Filmsite. Web. http://www.filmsite.org/thrillerfilms.html
"Notorious (1946)." IMDb. IMDb.com, Web. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0038787/
"Psycho (1960)." IMDb. IMDb.com, Web.  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0054215/
"Vertigo (1958)." IMDb. IMDb.com, Web.  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052357/

No comments:

Post a Comment