Saturday, March 26, 2016

Fun while filming

     Hey! Today Stephanie and I got some more work done! I'm so proud of all of the work we've been doing considering the fact that it's spring break and that homework is the last thing that I would want to be doing. The more time we spend filming and working on this project the less is feels like homework because of all of the fun that we have had while doing it. On Thursday we were forced to stop filming due to the fact that my camera had run out of battery, but today we went out to buy some batteries and were able to continue our filming adventure. We got a lot of stuff done today. One of the first things we did was make a darker cup of fake blood to use along with the blood that we made on Thursday. It was pretty easy since we knew about how much of everything we needed to successfully make it. After we finished making the fake blood, Stephanie and I went out to buy some glue (to make a scar) and started filming some more, once we got home. We filmed the scene where Stephanie (the protagonist) arrives at her house and notices that everything is messy and out of place. As she walks through the house she see's more and more things that are out of place. After we finished filming that part of the opening, we had to wait for Sarah, the girl that was going to play her younger sister, to come over. Sarah arrived a few minutes later with her older sister, and our close friend, Lizbeth. This is when the fun began. Stephanie put Sarah's makeup on, we made the scar, and started to add the fake blood on Sarah and around the house. After all of this was over we began to film, making sure that we got various shots and angles for each piece filmed. Since Stephanie had to be sad upon finding her sister dead on the floor, we had to figure out how to get her to cry or just any way to make her sadness/shock believable. I then remembered how sad the series finale to How I Met Your Mother made her, so I made her watch it and shortly after, she was sobbing. Success!
      On my way home after this long day of hard work and fun I started reflecting on everything we got done earlier and realized something super interesting. A few weeks ago I had a post dedicated almost completely to Alfred Hitchcock and I mentioned a way that he worked when it came to storyboarding. That quote of his mentioned how much time and effort he tends to put into storyboarding and then disregards it completely once he starts filming. I realized that that is what happened to Stephanie and I too. We spend a good amount of time planning out exactly how we wanted each shot to look like on our storyboard and once we started filming we just filmed whatever we thought looked best. Of course we had the storyboard in mind, but there are so many different shots that we took that we didn't draw out on our storyboard and ended up liking a lot. This goes to show how much amateur filmmakers like us can gain from legends like Hitchcock.


"How I Met Your Mother." Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation, n.d. Web.
How I Met Your Mother - Ending Scene. YouTube. YouTube, 31 Mar. 2014. Web.
"Alfred Hitchcock." Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation, n.d. Web.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Angela! I read your blog and I really appreciated how detailed everything was. It made me feel like part of the process and helped me imagine exactly what you are filming. I found it extremely funny how you made Stephanie cry by watching How I Met Your Mother's season finale. I wouldn't have thought of that! Keep on blogging this way to help us further understand what you are going for and let us know how everything turns out!

    ReplyDelete